Thursday 16 August 2007

Desiring God

One of the things that I wanted this blog to be is to express something of my journey of faith. I'm not sure if it would therefore be complete without reference to a certain book which I think I read back in 1998, nearly 10 years ago (ouch!)

It is of course Desiring God by John Piper

I'm not going to summarise here, but this was a wake up for me. I've always wanted to be a 'good Christian' - you know... read my Bible, not swear, not drink, pray, generally serve and by helpful. In someways, you may say my Christian life was 'nice', but somewhat dutiful and boring.

This book introduces the idea of Christian hedonism; seeking pleasure (shock horror) in God (double shock horror!)
Or to put it another way The chief end of man is to glorify God by enjoying Him forever.

What a breath of fresh air. At last, it has been dispelled that the Christian life is some grit and determination duty. Our job is to glorify God and by the way, that is done by recognising how wonderful He is, by acknowledging all good gifts and provision come from Him, by being in awe and amazement at His majesty. You get the picture....

In summary... we're made for joy, we're made for pleasure and it is most fully and purely found in God him (John 15:11). Let's go worship!

No comments: